[extropy-chat] The spirit of humanity

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun May 9 13:07:11 UTC 2004

This comment could go off in many directions.  But I was
struck by the following article:
  http://www.spacedaily.com/news/spacetravel-04t4.html

It has been 31 years since the last human walked on the moon.
That suggests that the experience of that experience may be
outside of the experiences of many of the people who may be
subscribed to the list.  I feel sad that there are people
whom I know who may lack this experience.

Humanity (and its survival) depends upon many things --
a couple important elements are (1) being independent of a single
point source failure -- i.e. we have to get a sustainable
entity off of Earth; and (2) we have to have something to
strive for (one could argue that this is what extropianism
and/or transhumanism are all about -- reaching for the limits).

I hope we find paths to transcend what we have previously
accomplished.

Robert