[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education : Toys

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu May 13 08:53:14 UTC 2004

>Daniel Matthews <dan at 3-e.net>
>Given a limited budget and a third world location what forms of patent free
>"Edutoys" would offer the greatest benefit to the largest number of children
>in terms of fostering intellectual development?

 From my reading of your requirements-

I think the key idea is that the toy be *simple*.  These are
very young kids. It should  also be easily transportable
and yet have the potential to inspire.

My First choice:

A planisphere
http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/visualobserving/article_75_1.asp

My first one in the 1970s was made of paper (sold by Edmund Scientific).
I bought a smaller, waterproof one at a telescope shop near my former
home in Cupertino. The one I use now is also plastic, a bit larger,
written in Italian. You have to choose the language.

They are simple, easy and cheap to make, and would stimulate
the youngster's imagination. Of course I still have all of my
toys in my home to entertain myself :-)

Other ideas for you:

My Second choice
A magnifying glass (instead of glass, one in plastic could work)

My Third choice:
A slinky. (I wonder if that would violate someone's patent though.)

My Fourth choice:
A yo-yo.

My Fifth choice
Strings. (didn't you play that as a kid?)

My Sixth choice
A simple Kaleidascope

My Seventh choice
A compass

Also, I suggest to spend some time in a German toy store. I remember
being overwhelmed with the variety of creative, simple, durable
(often wooden) toys for kids _and_ adults. I forgot the names
of all of those games, but I played more than a few while I was
living there. They were always brought out at parties as the
standard thing to do after indulging in the party food.

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/