[extropy-chat] extension of jolly good theory

Kevin Freels megaquark at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 20:08:44 UTC 2004

This is a guess, but I would think that laughter is not hard-wired. Although
we may all have been in situatins that we couldn't stop laughing, it is
always in response to something that is funny. This leaves a few problems:
1.) Since culture plays a large part in deciding what is funny and what is
not, the trigger for such a response would be variable, and learned.

2.) Even within a culture, each individual has unique ideas of what is funny
and what is not.

3.) Education also plays a key role

4.) Each person is further subject to moods and other things in their
environment which may cause them to laugh or not laugh.

In other words, I can only conclude that laughter is not hard-wired simply
because some people laugh at Damien's jokes and some do not.