[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education : Toys

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri May 14 03:46:21 UTC 2004

Daniel Matthews wrote:

>I am going to focus on wood as I feel there are a lot of good designs for
>wooded puzzles and building blocks etc. As you pointed out there are many
>traditional toys of this type in some parts of the world, so all I need to do
>is to select the best of these ideas to propagate globally.

In some places, wood is not a viable option. In Israel, for instance, which
is quite prosperous economically, wood is almost never used for anything.
Everything is plastic, metal, or stone.

If this project is to succeed, you need to adapt to each country's resource
profile.

Also, take a look at the connotations of each toy and its constituent
parts. A color or shape, say, that is fine in one place may be anathema
elsewhere, because of religious, political, or cultural factors. (Indeed,
in some places, the wrong color or shape can get the bearer killed.)

It may be that to accommodate all the locations you want to spread this to,
you need several distinct 'product lines.'

-- David Lubkin.