[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education : Toys

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Fri May 14 17:31:51 UTC 2004

Daniel Matthews wrote:

> Simple and durable is definitely the way to go, then the toys can be
> handed down to other children along with any curlure that has evolved
> from the children's interaction with them.
>
> I am going to focus on wood as I feel there are a lot of good designs
> for wooded puzzles and building blocks etc. As you pointed out there
> are many traditional toys of this type in some parts of the world, so
> all I need to do is to select the best of these ideas to propagate
> globally.

Keep in mind that wood is also used as fuel for cooking in many parts
of the world. These toys will compete with that.

Read http://pcasacas.org/SPC/spcissues/22.1/donlon.html for some good
information about traditional wooden and wire toys in South Africa. One
thing mentioned is that wooden toys are considered special.

You should also consider the energy cost of mass fabrication. In
the developed world we consider energy usage on a personal scale to
be inexpensive or even essentially free. Incidental costs which
would seem trivial to us need to be accounted for.

I haven't ever lived in the third world, but I think you really
need to get the advice of someone who has lived and worked there.

Here's another good link, showing a little bit about the creativity
of third-world children in making toys:
http://www.eco-artware.com/newsletter/newsletter_07_01.shtml#toys