[extropy-chat] FWD (UFO UpDate) Re: Length Of Mexican UFO Sighting?

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon May 17 22:47:40 UTC 2004

From: Bruce Maccabee <brumac at compuserve.com>
To: <ufoupdates at virtuallystrange.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:33:05 -0400
Subject: Re: Length Of Mexican UFO Sighting?

>From: Carl Feindt <waterufo at prodigy.net>
>To: <ufoupdates at virtuallystrange.net>
>Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:07:04 -0400
>Subject: Length Of Mexican UFO Sighting?

>Hello List,

>Just a quickie as I've had to delete most of the Mexican
>sighting text. I was wondering if there was a total elapsed time
>that these items were tracked (Radar though departure) as that
>might be a limiting factor on the "Ball lightening" idea?

According to Linda Howe's web site the time between the first
and the last FLIR images is about 35 minutes.

No time has been given from the first radar contact to when the
FLIR was turned on. However the initial distance was about 37
miles (according to Linda). The plane probably traveled at about
200 mph or 3.33 miles per minute suggesting about 11 minutes to
catch up if the object wasn't moving. If it was, then the
differential speed would have been lower and the time longer.
This is something I am trying to check up on.

Hence 45 minutes total time is probably not a bad estimate. I
presume the Air Traffic Control that was monitoring the
plane would know exactly.

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program