[extropy-chat] UFO - Mexico Scare!

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed May 19 04:09:18 UTC 2004

> "The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO.
> Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a
> thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."
> -J, MIB

Even if thay were balloons ...

"... Thousands of years ago tribes of human beings
suffered great privations in the struggle to survive.
In this struggle it was important not only to be able
to handle a club, but also to possess the ability
to think reasonably, to take care of the knowledge
and experience garnered by the tribe, and to develop
the links that would provide cooperation with other tribes.
Today the entire human race is faced with a similar test.
In infinite space many civilizations are bound to exist,
among them civilizations that are also wiser and more
"successful" than ours. I support the cosmological hypothesis
which states that the development of the universe is repeated
in its basic features an infinite number of times.
In accordance with this, other civilizations, including
more "successful" ones, should exist an infinite number
of times on the "preceding" and the "following" pages
of the Book of the Universe. Yet this should not minimize
our sacred endeavors in this world of ours, where,
like faint glimmers of light in the dark, we have emerged
for a moment from the nothingness of dark unconsciousness
of material existence. We must make good the demands
of reason and create a life worthy of ourselves
and of the goals we only dimly perceive."
http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/1975/sakharov-lecture.html