[extropy-chat] Re: monty hall paradox again: reds and green gorfs

Thu May 20 16:56:01 UTC 2004

Spike writes:

> If
> most people say red and green gorfs are equal but a
> small and perhaps not very credible minority insist
> reds are better, while no one is actually claiming the
> greens are better, then I would choose a red gorf,
> assuming the same price.

Spike, this would lead you to superstition.  Throwing salt over your
shoulder after you spill it won't hurt and doesn't cost anything.  Most
people say it doesn't matter.  But some few do claim that it will keep evil
away.  So you might as well do it just in case, right?  The same goes for
blessing someone after they sneeze, and avoiding the path of a black cat, or
any other unfounded superstition.  Might as well do it, just in case, right?

 --
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
<HarveyNewstrom.com>