[extropy-chat] Re: monty hall paradox again: reds and green gorfs

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 21 17:30:56 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

>> After opening one you still don´t know what a zorg is worth
>> and you have no further information...
>

> This part with which I am not sure I totally agree, for
> we do have one further, and critically important piece
> of information: that one of the envelopes contains twice
> as much as the other. With that information, it seems to
> me that one need not know the absolute amount in one's own
> envelope, but rather only to fix the amount somehow, such
> as by opening it and peering at the number of zorgs.

The missing information is that you still don´t know the total value
contained in the envelopes.  You have either 1/3  or 2/3 of that total.
If you don´t know which you have to average it and call it half.
Same for the other envelope.  Hence they are of equal value until
both are opened and the values becomes known.