[extropy-chat] Re: monty hall paradox again: reds and green gorfs

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Fri May 21 22:00:13 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> But any *real* Vulcan would swap.

### Since my wife frequently remarks on my remarkable psychological
similarity to Mr. Spock, let me give the Vulcan advice:

The paradox is not a paradox of probabilities, but a spectacle of
non-linear attitudes towards measurements of financial value. Humans
don't really care much about 1 cent, many care a little about 10$ (but
not a thousand times more), most will care a lot about 10 000 but hardly
anybody will care about 10^20 $. I would posit that hardly anybody would
wager 10^8$ to get 10^20 - simply because almost everybody will be
*satisfied* with what he has already, and risking 9/10ths of it all to
gain even more is irrational. On the other hand, most would risk 1$ to
get 10$, because 1$ is almost as close to nothing as a dime but 10$ buys
you a good desert.

So, if you know the subjective value of the money in the first opened
envelope, and you know the subjective values of the other options, you
will choose according to your relative feeling of satisfaction with what
you have, vs. what you could have. If the true value of the envelope is
truly unknown, an abstract number, then one should not swap, since
swapping costs time and effort, but you chance of attaining a given
level of satisfaction (after you exchange your zorgs for cold hard cash)
is exactly equal with either course of action.

Rafal