[extropy-chat] Universe Measured: We're 156 Billion Light-yearsWide!

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon May 24 12:32:00 UTC 2004

<<The universe is about 13.7 billion years old.
Light reaching us from the earliest known galaxies
has been travelling, therefore, for more than
13 billion years. So one might assume that the radius
of the universe is 13.7 billion light-years and that
the whole shebang is double that, or 27.4 billion
light-years wide.>>

Does this seem to be consistent?

Wow, 13.7 billion years ago,
when the light left those galaxies,
they were much closer to the Earth.
How could the light have taken
*that* long to get here?

Double wow! Another paradox here?

Well, I can imagine that Bayes
would say: "What kind of prior
distribution are you using for
space, between those old galaxies
and our Earth, static or dynamical?".

Btw, it seems to me the "two-envelope" choice,
had a hidden assumption. Namely: why one would
change the envelope? Money does not make
one happy.

:-)