[extropy-chat] Universe Measured: We're 156 Billion Light-yearsWide!

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon May 24 18:35:39 UTC 2004

.......the real size which is still unknown
(and it's unknown also if it is finite or not).
Alfio

At the time I was (let us say so) studying (neutrinos
and cosmology) the figures were much different: not 13.7, i.e.,
but around ... 9 (?). Even the neutrinos were different!

Now I'm learning something from this faq, which is
very good indeed.
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

But what about those distant galaxies which have a redshift
(and an energy flux), measured here and now, which tend to
infinity (and zero)? "The image reddens and fades out".
Figuring out that the visible evolution of the distant
objects is slowing to a halt. "No superluminal expansion
of the Universe" wrote the (very) subtle Don N. Page
http://www.arXiv/abs/gr-qc/9303008

"Imagine there is no space and time in the background;
no canvas to paint the dynamics of the physical universe on.
Imagine a play in which the stage joins the troupe of actors.
Imagine a novel in which the book itself is a character..."
writes Abhay Ashtekar
http://cgpg.gravity.psu.edu/people/Ashtekar/index.html

But even these images redden and fade out.