[extropy-chat] Extropian Principles 3.0, Russian translation

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed May 26 15:31:40 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Gennady Ra wrote:

> My Russian translation of Extropian Principles 3.0 is now available at
> http://home.cris.net/~anyservice/principles-ru.html

Gennady,

My Russian is not good enough to judge whether this is the best
translation (no criticism here -- simply self observation). The best
person who might have been able to judge a translation would have been
Sasha but unfortunately he is no longer with us. My experience with the
Russian language and culture suggests that translations may always offer
subtle points for discussion.  (I do not know -- perhaps Eugen might be
able to offer a perspective.)  The precise meaning of words tends to be very
subjective and is culture dependent.  So I would look forward to a
discussion with respect to subtle points over a cup of chai.

But however -- it is always good to have the general extropian
perspectives translated for other cultures(!).  And so thank
you for providing the translation.

I would urge the list/site admins to make Gennady's work
available (onsite subject to his permission) or reference it.

Side note to Natasha -- *why* haven't the Extropian
principles been translated into Japanese, Chinese,
Korean, etc.  It would seem that these cultures would
quite easily accept the principles if they were presented
to them.

R.