[extropy-chat] Extropian Principles 3.0, Russian translation

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu May 27 10:18:38 UTC 2004

At 08:31 AM 5/26/04 -0700, Robert wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 2004, Gennady Ra wrote:
>
> > My Russian translation of Extropian Principles 3.0 is now available at
> > http://home.cris.net/~anyservice/principles-ru.html
>
>Gennady,
>
>My Russian is not good enough to judge whether this is the best
>translation (no criticism here -- simply self observation). The best
>person who might have been able to judge a translation would have been
>Sasha but unfortunately he is no longer with us. My experience with the
>Russian language and culture suggests that translations may always offer
>subtle points for discussion.  (I do not know -- perhaps Eugen might be
>able to offer a perspective.)  The precise meaning of words tends to be very
>subjective and is culture dependent.  So I would look forward to a
>discussion with respect to subtle points over a cup of chai.
>
>But however -- it is always good to have the general extropian
>perspectives translated for other cultures(!).  And so thank
>you for providing the translation.

Yes, thank you!

>I would urge the list/site admins to make Gennady's work
>available (onsite subject to his permission) or reference it.
>
>Side note to Natasha -- *why* haven't the Extropian
>principles been translated into Japanese, Chinese,
>Korean, etc.  It would seem that these cultures would
>quite easily accept the principles if they were presented
>to them.

Good point!  Most of the translators are charging a pretty penny.  Gennady
has offered skills without a charge, which is very generous.  By the way,
Philippe VanNedervelde's partner, Elena, could be helpful with the Russian
translation.  I'll email her.

Gennady, are you translating the most recent version of the principles?

Everyone:  Do you know someone who would translate the principles in
Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, etc.?

Thanks,
Natasha

Natasha Vita-More