[extropy-chat] Extropian Principles 3.0, Russian translation

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu May 27 22:19:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Gennady Ra wrote:

> I am a good mix to perform the translation: a native Russian speaker with a
> university degree in Russian philology who works as a translator from and
> into English for the Crimean Chamber of Commerce and Industry, with strong
> affinity  for extropian/transhumanist ideas and Max More's texts, and piety
> to both languages.

Natasha, though "philology" is not a common degree in Western
educations.  I am familiar enough with it in an Eastern context
to verify that Gennady is more than qualified to translate the
principles.  With respect to any finer points (which I would
expect you, I, Max and Gennady and perhaps Greg (if we want to
drag in the legal perspective)) would have to discuss these may
have to wait.  I would expect a discussion of the Western vs.
the Eastern perspectives of the Extropian principles to be very
educational.

So I would presume the translations are accurate and perhaps even
more pointed (or poignant) than Max's phrasings may be (Russian
phrasings can be stronger than English phrasings).  Of course
you may still wish to verify the translations -- but I generally
trust that Gennady has completed the work in a very professional way.)

> I'd like to believe I succeeded in conveying the energy, ideas, style, ethos,
> spirit and "drive" of the original document.

Agreed.  And it is unfortunate that we could not meet in person
to help in this understanding.  For there are very many elements
to discuss and I suspect the Western perspective is quite limited
in their comprehension.  But I do trust that your understandings
are accurate and authoritative.  Finer points are something that
must be dealt with downstream -- as it is not clear whether we
even fully understant them ourselves at this time.

> Let's hope the translation will be as encouraging and inspirational ... [snip]

Of course, ExI welcomes all people to the forum of discussion.

We have not given much discussion to mutli-national discussion forums
and that (IMO) may be a significant oversight.  We as English speaking
people *are not the majority* on the planet.

So *if* ExI is to be really international *how* do we resolve that?

R.