[extropy-chat] al-Qaeda is growing fast

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat May 29 19:33:38 UTC 2004

At 03:10 PM 5/29/2004 -0400, gts wrote:

>The occupation of Iraq is making the world less safe from al-Qaeda.

Since this was blindingly evident from the outset, and based on lies (as I
and others noted at the time on this list), you have to wonder what propels
the decision-makers. Could it really be as simple as the bloated delusions
and interests of office coupled with the frailty of human levels of smarts
and attention?

This is cartooned, of course, in THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (which turns out to
be a pretty stunning example of effective CGI work, despite the dubious or
mendacious `science' of those great climate experts Art Bell and Whitley
Strieber.) Which leads me by an abrupt climate change of topic to note that
D.A.T. could serve a useful purpose in preparing people for the idea of
drastic sudden change--so that, as technologicl singularity zooms closer,
the usual assumption of placid continuity with the past will no longer be
the default.

Damien Broderick