[extropy-chat] al-Qaeda is growing fast

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun May 30 01:23:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Damien Broderick wrote:

> This is cartooned, of course, in THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW (which turns out to
> be a pretty stunning example of effective CGI work, despite the dubious or
> mendacious `science' of those great climate experts Art Bell and Whitley
> Strieber.)

Of course plenty has been written about the poor science in this film.

> Which leads me by an abrupt climate change of topic to note that
> D.A.T. could serve a useful purpose in preparing people for the idea of
> drastic sudden change--so that, as technologicl singularity zooms closer,
> the usual assumption of placid continuity with the past will no longer be
> the default.

Perhaps -- I am reasonably certain that we can reverse the process and/or
consequences of global warming using biotech and/or nanotech.  That is
why the Koyoto agreement is flawed -- a failure to incorporate rapid
technological change by humanity.

It would of course be nice if we had an example of rapid technological
change in a positive direction rather than a negative direction.

Robert