[extropy-chat] diffraction limit

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun May 30 17:05:13 UTC 2004

scerir wrote:

>From: "Dan Clemmensen"
>

>>4) There is a lower bound on the length at which a classical model can
>>be used at all.
>>

>>I really don't know where these bounds are. The existence of (4) makes
>>me very skeptical of nano-electronics.
>>

>I've read that in MPU applications the gate physical thickness
>will reach 1 nm in 2006! Is it true? With such thickness,
>tunneling leakage current becomes relevant, unless they
>introduce a higher dielectric constant material.

HI-K dielectrics are important, but not precisely for this reason. Gate
"thickness" is at best loosely related to photolithographic dimensions.
The latter are what we have been discussing. Thickness has to do with
material depositions, and can already be controlled to within a very few
atomic layers.(by analogy, you can easily paint a very thin and uniform
thickness of paint with a spraygun, but you cannot paint a narrow sharp
line.)  In general, tunneling seems to be designed in and/or accounted
for in the vertical dimension. The big problem in this dimension will be
when tunneling establishes paths between layers that are not supposed to
be there. In the horizontal dimension, as features get smaller, we will
reach the point where the same thing happens in this dimension. My
uneducated guess is that this imposes a lower bound on feature
separation. Consider the "simple" case of two copper paths , or two
nanowires, that are supposed to be electrically separate. If you place
them close enough together, a tunnel current will flow between them.