[extropy-chat] diffraction limit

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon May 31 02:51:57 UTC 2004

Brent Neal wrote:

>Because of that, its fairly meaningless to talk about a "minimum dimension above which no tunnelling occurs."  For a given spacing and permittivity, you can talk about the mean time between tunnelling incidents. If that is on the order of 10^10 years, you can safely call that "no tunnelling."  If its 10^-10 seconds, then you can talk about a "tunnelling current." For anywhere in between, you likely care more about whether the tunnelling will allow enough electrons through to cause dielectric breakdown (which is bad) or so few that you can call your device reliable.

Thanks, Brent. This is the reason that I avoided this terminology. There
is a continuum of tunneling from negligible to overwhelming. When
features are large, tunneling can be neglected when analyzing device
performance. When features are really small, tunneling is overwhelming
and classical analysis is useless. We are currently in the range between
negligible and overwhelming. As of now, we can treat tunneling as a
funny kind of leakage effect, and otherwise simply use classical
techniques. What I really want to know is when will tunneling overwhelm
the classical analysis.

As you may have seen "screrir" found a paper that looks at this issue.
If I understood the paper correctly, the answer is basically that
classical electronics cannot be supported for devices that are smaller
than 20nm in diameter, regardless of the technology.

I have trouble with "hi-K" and "low-K" dielectrics. Apparently, we need
both, some in some areas, and some in others? From your comment "low-K"
is good when we want to minimize tunneling.