[extropy-chat] Bush wants another $75 billion for wars

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 22:44:57 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Part of the problem is a factor which has been much
> > talked about, but
> > never fixed: that government regulations force
> > corporate managment to
> > focus on short term gains rather than long term
> > growth.
>
> Which regulations are those?  I thought the problem
> was responsibility to shareholders are free to
> purchase shares without believing in, or even
> knowing, the company's plans for long term growth,
> and thus focus only on the short term data (which
> must also be provided, to try to prevent scams) and
> demand immediate return on investment.  This would not
> ultimately place responsibility on the government
> regulations.

Government regs requiring quarterly reports create this situation. If,
instead, all corporations reported only annually, you'd automatically
lengthen the view of the shareholder by four times. If you allowed them
to report only once every two years if they wanted to, you'd lengthen
the view of the investor even more.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)