[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 13:54:18 UTC 2004

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> I am so disappointed. How could Bush win the popular vote? I don't
> understand this; no one I spoke with here understands it either.
> Also,
> I suspect it won't be easy for Americans with nonAmericans in the
> future. I heard often in the last years that 'Americans simply made a
> mistake',with regards to the Bush administration, and so they cleanly
> separated the American people from their government, and expected the
> Americans to 'set things right' in this election. Now Americans will
> be much more closely aligned with their government in the eyes of
many
> in the world.

I suspect most of your friends would fall into that class of people
that are referred to as "the chattering class". There are a lot of New
Yorkers, for example, who don't know a single Republican personally.
They create these insular lives where they only associate with
individuals in the media, the arts, or academia, who reflect their own
views, so no fact checking occurs. Enclave consensus can significantly
differ from reality if no rational intelligence gathering occurs.

> since I think that holding a US passport will mostly hurt me now.

Europe thought the same of Reagan, and were rewarded with the collapse
of the iron curtain. They should be so fortunate again.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)