[extropy-chat] The next steps for individuals (was: Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...)

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 10:38:25 UTC 2004

 I can't think of anything do-able, except maybe
finding someone interested in communicating with
select persons in the 'Middle East' to attempt to
interest them in transhumanism/extropianism. The
communicator would have to be someone who knows
science, who is diplomatic & empathetic.
A one in a million sort of person.

> Natasha:
> >>  What can our organizations, such as Extropy
> Institute, do to promote good
> >>  relations between ourselves and others
> throughout the world?  That is a
> >>  first step.
>
> Given the strong individualist personalities here, I
> think that one can
> add to the above: "What can *individuals* do to
> promote good relations
> between ourselves and others throughout the world?"
>
> Hal Finney:
> >I think that's a great question.  Of course, ExI is
> not a major player on
> >the world stage and can't by itself rehabilitate
> America's international
> >image.
>
> After Bush is out, then I think that ten or twenty
> years will be needed
> to recover its reputation (America's international
> image). It will be a
> long road.
>
> >But just by asking it, we are reminded that we are
> not our country.
>
> Or rather, we are not our government.
>
> I would like to say something about linking people
> to particular places
> and governments.
>
> During human interactions with those in our
> environments, many people
> seem to need to fix a person to a place ("Where are
> you from?"), perhaps
> in order to categorize that person in their mind.
> Because once they've
> categorized that person, their interactions becomes
> easier: they can use
> a mental lookup table to form hypotheses,
> conclusions, 'facts' or
> prejudices, in order to know what behavior to use in
> order to proceed in
> that interaction. It's natural, because it can be
> scary (unconsciously)
> to interact with strangers, so then categorizing
> another person helps to
> overcome a person's fears.
>
> You know that I don't like categorization and 'group
> thinking', but to
> some extent, all of us use it in our daily lives. I
> think a worthwhile
> goal for improving one's inner state is to catch it
> and try to break it,
> in ourselves, or if we have energy, in others,  when
> it happens. Starting
> with stereotypes.
>
> Stereotypes are all around us.  Individuals initiate
> them, media and
> governments amplify them, and a feedback loop is in
> motion. It's hard work
> to filter what is possibly real and what is probably
> fiction. I try very
> hard, in the places where I live, to gather alot of
> data, treat people as
> individuals, and in my most critical mindset, I
> expect people to treat
> me the same (that is, with no stereotypes). I knew
> some of the
> stereotypes that the U.S. media/culture/government
> presented about other
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Nixon in '08 - he's tanned rested and ready