[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 15:44:32 UTC 2004

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mike, let's look at Bush's anti-gay aspect. Bush knows
> that those who oppose tobacco are picking on the
> minority of smokers, yet he cannot admit the millions
> trying to outlaw gay marriage (and succeeding) are
> also picking on a minority-- gays. In the past gays
> wanted affirmative action, the power to force firms to
> hire them, plus other powers; today the situation is
> different.
> You describe the situation from both sides and we'll
> take it from there.

Marriage licensing is an institution that was founded and steeped in
bigotry, classism, racism, and superstition. Before the US Civil War,
here in the US free white persons needed no marriage license. Licensing
was created to control inter-racial marriage, only inter-racial and
other freed black couples needed marriage licenses, while the slave
states also kept records of black breeding to prevent incest.

In other countries, licensing of marriage by the state was created
under the feudal system to enforce the monarch's right of prima nocti
(first night) to intercourse with the bride before her groom.

Today the state forces couples who are not even married into common law
marriage unless they've specifically signed statements before hand that
they are not. The states do this to control how parents raise their
kids, to force the kids into public schools, among other things. Just
as being married to both your spouse and the King under prima nocti,
state sanctioned marriage is a polygamous relationship with an unjust
tyrant that would presume to be your superior.

That gays would WANT to subject themselves to this institution
indicates to those of us who know the facts that they have some
ulterior motive. That motive is clearly that they want to be able to
inherit their partners social security benefits, as this is the only
benefit that cannot be replicated via contract law in the private
sphere.

I propose a deal with the gay community: you can have gay marriage
licensing if you agree to let people be lawfully, rather than legally,
married, outside of state sanction, and that the government won't
persecute people who stay out of or retract themselves from the Social
Security System.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)