[extropy-chat] Rephrase the "Marriage" question...

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 03:59:25 UTC 2004

Well, you got right to it.
look, I'll be 50 in another year or so, do not want to
be an old maid, so what is so terrible about marrying
a 15 year old before my body is unmarketable? We put
on this brave front like we're going to live
indefinitely but anybody could die in an accident, the
future is great but there's today too.
If I have a good time, make it to 65 then get
suspended, that's good enough. If you make it to 65 or
70 it can be called a good life. Aren't you thankful
for small favors?

--- nsjacobus at yahoo.com wrote:
> True enough. However, still, this makes me think
> that since what we are
> really talking about is something far more general
> than the notion of
> marriage, shouldn't we, as Extropians, really be
> trying to abolish the
> specific-notion of "marriage" altogether ?
>
> I mean, I can understand that gays want simply to
> have the same rights
> as heteros (and they should), but ultimately if the
> "traditional"
> notion of marriage is backwards (in a certain
> Extropian sense),
> shouldn't we be trying to go way further here?
>
> Death To Marriage!
>

> On Nov 4, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Al Brooks wrote:
>
> Any sort of marriage anyone wants or doesn't want.
>   Right now there's pressure for people to get
> married-- and believe it or nor I accept this
> opposition. But there are those of us who will pull
> the tug o' war rope from the other direction. You
> know
> what this country is about, how Americans change
> things-- with utmost fuss & bother. There was a four
> year war merely to abolish slavery. To grant women
> the
> vote took how many decades?
>

> >   If we (whoever) were to build a society from the
> > bottom up (on the
> > moon, in orbit, in the asteroid belt, under the
> > ocean, etc), ie: from
> > scratch, what sort of support/allowance, etc
> should
> > such a society have
> > (if any) for "Marriage"?

> =====
> Nixon in '08 - he's tanned rested and ready

> Cheers,
> Nigel.
> ---
> "Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be
> mean because,
> remember, no matter where you go, there you are. "
>
> -Buckaroo Banzai

=====
Nixon in '08 - he's tanned rested and ready