[extropy-chat] Delusions of Hypocrisy

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 17:07:16 UTC 2004

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mike, i like your posts because you are direct,
> unfortunately directness does not mean lack of
> hypocrisy, if it did we would not be human, we'd be
> something much more virtuous. Now, keep in mind there
> is a difference between an intellectually dishonest
> person and a hypocritical person. The latter is
> universal; the former is less prevalent. Stating "I'm
> NOT a hypocrite" is tantamount to saying, "I have
> never done anything wrong in my life". Mike, however
> integrated you are, you are still human; if we are
> human, we are hypocritical.
> This discussion makes me feel like I'm back in Sunday
> School, 1964.

Sorry, I don't say one thing and do another (what hypocrisy is). Doing
wrong is not hypocrisy if you believe what you did was not wrong, or if
you feel that wrongness is okay. Since becoming a mature adult person,
and becoming aware of my philosophical outlook, I have always (to my
knowledge) done what I think is right, and I do what I say and say what
I do, so long as I am not being coerced by the state or another person
into doing or saying otherwise (in which case I am held harmless). That
IS what integrity is.

Being human does not mandate hypocriticality. You do have the ability
to have integrity.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)