[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 14:20:59 UTC 2004

--- Patrick Wilken <Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE> wrote:

> I am not sure how Germany's army has anything to with the weak
> dollar, perhaps I missed a post.

All the anti-us states can do is engage in financial warfare if they
don't like US foreign policy enough to want to do something about it.

> at which point some sort of corrective measures are likely to be
> applied. According to the Economist the Euro and Dollar should have a
> rough parity, which if true shows how far out of whack things have
> become.
>
> One practical consequence of this is that its now about 10% cheaper
> to buy books from Amazon.com than Amazon.de, even when taking into
> account free shipping within Germany.

You are engaging in a 'corrective measure' by doing so, and helping to
improve the US trade balance, which contributes to the exchange rate.
We appreciate it, thanks.

Markets can fix themselves, provided governments get out of the way.
When you see a sustained disparity that is not being naturally
corrected, some government(s) is/are responsible.

Of course, one might claim that Bush is entirely supportive of terrible
exchange rates: it punishes all those wine swilling, brie chewing
liberals with high french wine and cheese prices, earns profits for oil
stocks of his texas buddies, and provides market impetus to finally
drill for oil in ANWAR.

ANWAR is the big problem. The Euro is rising in value because of
Russia's rise as an oil power as well as the shift by many states from
backing their own currencies with the dollar to the euro. This creates
a surplus of dollars and a dearth of euros as various Bumfukistan
Central Banks dump their dollar reserves and buy up euro reserves.

The US could reverse the influence of Russias oil on the euro by
opening up ANWAR, which is why the european based tree-hugger groups
are all dead set against it.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)