[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Mon Nov 8 13:36:28 UTC 2004

On 8 Nov 2004, at 13:41, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Financial pressure is about all they can do, really. They don't have
> the military might or will to do anything. Switzerland could come up
> with a larger army in 24 hours than Germany could draft together in 6
> months.

I am not sure how Germany's army has anything to with the weak dollar,
perhaps I missed a post.

Here in European the increasing strength of the Euro against the Dollar
is starting to ring alarm bells. However, at the moment its not so high
that people are widely panicing. At the moment its about 1.28, and I
read over the weekend that it could reach 1.35 in the next few months
at which point some sort of corrective measures are likely to be
applied. According to the Economist the Euro and Dollar should have a
rough parity, which if true shows how far out of whack things have
become.

One practical consequence of this is that its now about 10% cheaper to
buy books from Amazon.com than Amazon.de, even when taking into account
free shipping within Germany.

best, patrick