[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Stephen Davies steve365 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 9 22:01:21 UTC 2004

Absolutely right. I make a deliberate effort to investigate writings and arguments that I find ideologically uncongenial. If you don't you end up intellectually lazy and slack and, most importantly, unaware of the real nature of the world and society you live in (as the Democrats have found out). You may decide like Dorothy Parker "This is not a book to be set aside lightly. It should be hurled with great force" but at least it reminds you of what you're up against.

Like Greg I think a lot of the reaction to the result is hysterical and OTT, and I'm not a Bush fan at all. For heavens sake it's only four years (unlike the UK where a PM really can go on and on and on...) and the various checks built into the system are still there. I think a great many people clearly do only read or watch or listen to stuff that confirms their predilictions and are very painfully surprised when they get a wack from reality. Sadly the academic profession is particularly prone to this.

Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:
Today there is no excuse for anyone to live in an ideological enclave.
We should all be making an effort to expose ourselves to a wide
range of political views. It is as easy as visiting a good mix of
web logs and other sites. Perhaps people could post their favorite
liberal/conservative/other blogs for keeping themselves exposed to a
wide variety of viewpoints.

Hal