[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 00:23:26 UTC 2004

> But the solution to the SS mess is very clearly to dismantle it with as
> much compassion and care for those who have been led to depend on it and
> are already doing so or will be too soon to do something else as
> possible.    The second part of the solution is to do something about
> the rising median age of the population.  For that life extension,
> anti-aging and continuously improved medicine AND healthier life habits
> of the population are essential.   We must increase the healthy and
> productive years if all we Boomers aren't going to be seen as a
> parasitical burden.
>
> - samantha

You don't want to keep slaving away all your life do you? Even the
Japanese don't want that, and they seem to *really* *like* *working*.
Why not try their idea, and start building robots. While you're at it,
go open source!

Japan's Robot Developers Go Linux
"Japan's preoccupation with consumer robots is largely driven by
economic imperatives. It has an aging population, declining birthrates
and a looming labor shortage, which means that the development of a
standard robot platform could simply be a matter of time. However,
despite its growing popularity in robotics, Linux cannot yet claim
victory."
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32281.html

Manga really affected that country. Maybe a lot of Astro Boy didn't
come through in the translation?

Can you imagine proposing developing robots as a solution to impending
aging population based labor shortages, in any of the anglo western
countries? People would look at you like you were mad. The funky thing
is, I think those crazy kids in Japan will probably pull this off.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *