[extropy-chat] 'Unskilled jobs to go in 10 years'

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 00:57:48 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote:

> Outsourcing benefits the entire economy. Of course some neighbors will
> lose jobs, but on the whole everyone benefits from low cost goods and
> can buy more other stuff while some people lose jobs, transfer jobs,
> learn new stuff, whatever.

Intelligent transfer of jobs to areas where the same quality work can be
done more cheaply makes sense.  However, what we have now is often not
very intelligent.  Out-sourcing has become a panacea for many public
software companies.  Wall Street and other financial players nearly make
it a requirement or at least ask for a strong why-not.    It is not
intelligent when companies assume that the code is all and can be picked
up by any reaonsably competent software team successfully and relatively
painlessly.  This is very seldom the case.  The code has its own inertia
and quirks that the current onsite developers understand.   The onsite
developers, if they include the architects of the code, have
considerable business and technical knowledge relevant to the code in
question that can seldom be properly captured for transfer in a
reasonably complete manner.   Even for QA only transfers it is not
uncommon to experience delays of 6 - 9 months before an offshore team is
fully up to speed and workable processes in place.   So this is a far
cry from a panacea as many companies learn painfully.

Folks can't "buy more stuff" if they have no income for significant
periods of time while they are attempting to "learn new stuff".    The
real world is not so simple.

- samantha