[extropy-chat] 'Unskilled jobs to go in 10 years'

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Thu Nov 11 21:08:05 UTC 2004

From: Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk>

>> Not really. It's not only about me. My neighbour who lost his job,
>> can buy less stuff because of unemployment, and I can buy less stuff
>> because my union fee/unemployment insurance rises in price.

### This is interesting. Unemployment (i.e. presence of large numbers of
able-bodied persons who are willing to work but are unable to secure a
gainful exchange with other persons, exercising of their freedom of
contract) is an artificial malady, produced by, of course, interference
in the freedom of contract. It is virtually unknown in pluralistic
economies.  In fact, the forced (or, unwisely, willing) participation in
labor unions is one of the prime causes of unemployment. Once the
participants in an economy make one mistake, formation of unions (which
is a form of reducing pluralism and lengthening feedback loops, the two
most egregious sins you can commit against the society), they set
themselves up to commit even more mistakes ("to keep the union fee
down") - such as cutting themselves out of the international division of
labor and further undermining their economic position. All the while
shedding tears about their poor unemployed neighbors.

Stop paying union dues, oust the monopolistic politicians who are
regulating the economy to death, and you will have both full employment
*and* cheap stuff.

>>> Jobs are really just displaced, not eliminated.
>>

>> I didn't mean that they are eliminated. They are made less valuable.
>> Makin stuff cheaper by using cheaper labor doesn't add wealth. Only
>> increased productivity, new technology and more efficient markets
>> creates wealth.

### Of course, if you use cheaper labor (all else being equal), you can
buy more of it, therefore you can make more stuff, therefore you are
wealthier. QED.

Rafal