[extropy-chat] Cramer on Afshar

Walter_Chen at compal.com Walter_Chen at compal.com
Sun Nov 14 07:02:08 UTC 2004

Thanks for a good summary and some good references:
One example from Bohr:
Life: a form through which matter streams.
Life: a collection of matter.
We customarily think of the outside world as separate from ourselves,
and the boundary between the two is the surface of our skin.
However, think of a blind person who gets around with the assistance of a
cane.
In time that person will probably treat the cane as part of his or her body,

and will think of the outside world as beginning just at the tip of the
cane.
Now imagine the blind man's sense of touch extending out of the tip of the
cane
and into the roadway itself. Imagine it extending further, down the block,
into the countryside, to the whole world.
There is no point where the blind man ends and the world begins.
Similarly, we can not say which is the system and which is us observing it.
This is the heart of the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

So I always think the so-called grand unified theory of 4 forces is really
missing some very important
ingredients consisting of life or consciousness.
There is really something missing.

Thanks.

Walter.
---------