[extropy-chat] Complex Adaptive Systems

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Nov 15 23:27:11 UTC 2004

Natasha,

You might find the following short book useful. I have a copy in our
library. See me after school. ;-)

Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity, by John Holland.

this is one of the best books to get an understanding of complex adaptive
systems (cas) and the use of software agents. Holland is a leader in the
emerging field of complexity studies but makes no unrealistic claims for
his work. As he remarks, there is not yet a real theory of complex adaptive
systems. This book lays some foundations and steps towards a general theory
after showing the results of his experiments with Echo. As the theory of
cas is developed, we may better understand how complexity arises in
economies and other systems without central control.

Also, these articles might help:

Strategy at the Edge of Chaos
McKinsey Quarterly by Eric D. Beinhocker
http://www.manyworlds.com/index.asp?from=CO&coid=CO020420000003373

Complexity Gains Momentum
Catalyst by John Thackray
http://www.manyworlds.com/index.asp?from=CO&coid=CO6270319303814
Excerpt from my review:
Existing practical applications of CAS models are not hard to find: Traffic
simulations, design of public spaces accounting for crowd behavior, factory
production scheduling, adaptive supply chain networks, robust strategy
formulation, simulations of customer behavior, and social network analysis
(SNA). One of the leading business complexity practitioners, BiosGroup,
helped Southwest Airlines redesign cargo handling processes, saving 30
percent in costs and 70 in time, and has helped Nasdaq anticipate the
aggregate effects of thousands of traders reacting in various scenarios.
Businesses may eventually benefit from Wall Street interest in
understanding economic cycles by better anticipating major shifts.

Onward!

Max

At 04:51 PM 11/15/2004, you wrote:
>As many of you know, I am back in school getting an MS while I prepare for
>a PhD program.
>
>This week, we have been talking about complex adaptive systems, and their
>use by futurists in understanding and explaining "accelerating change)
>(FM-2030 term).  I have spent the greater portion of the day goggling CAS
>and looking for the next steps of this theory and practice, not just in
>relation to complexity, but also other areas of change.  Haven't found
>anything.
>
>While biology is an appropriate and well-seasoned metaphor/analogy to use,
>could it be overused?  Because I do not believe in stasis, I wonder what
>has evolved out of complexity theory, cybernetics and CAS.
>
>Does anyone have ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Natasha

Max More, Ph.D.
max at maxmore.com or more at extropy.org
http://www.maxmore.com
Strategic Philosopher
Chairman, Extropy Institute. http://www.extropy.org <more at extropy.org>
Director of Content Solutions, ManyWorlds Inc.: http://www.manyworlds.com
--- Thought leadership in the innovation economy
m.more at manyworlds.com