[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Typical Brits

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 02:41:30 UTC 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,2763,1352259,00.html

A typical Briton: uptight but witty

  Poll draws out overseas views of the national character, with some
unexpected compliments and inevitable references to dental hygiene

   Lee Glendinning
Tuesday November 16, 2004
The Guardian

   Would like to meet: someone with a clever wit, a "bulldog" spirit,
and high regard for tradition. A sense of style, and clean teeth not
essential. Well, it shouldn't be hard.

  As far as many foreigners are concerned, the aforementioned list
contains most of the "qualities" possessed by the typical Briton.

  Throw in a huge amount of reserve and this apparently encompasses the
quintessential British character.

  In an attempt to understand the perception abroad of Brits, The Royal
Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufacturers and Commerce (RSA)
published research yesterday containing a list of British
characteristics.

  The research, undertaken by poll company Mori, included in-depth
interviews with groups in Italy, America and India, as well as local
discussions in Norfolk.

  The opinions of a number of foreign correspondents working in London
were also included in the analysis.

  Across the board, wit and cleverness were considered a very British
trait.

  "Cleverness makes me think of British humour," one American said.
"Clever is a word and concept that I think is particular to Britain."

  However, the Italians thought slightly differently, with some
describing the British humour as cold: "Their sense of humour ... it's
like laughing with tight teeth," said one.

  During discussion groups, the report says, the same words came up
again and again. Reserved. Uptight. Snobbishness. "They treat you with
cold detachment," one Italian offered up, "but they are not impolite."

An American correspondent said: "It is especially noticeable among
[British] men, both physical - no hugging, but also a reluctance to
express emotion in normal discourse ... they are more formal and slower
to make friends."

  Although some respondents found a contradiction between the British
"lager lout" and the high level of reserve, one interviewee from
Chicago explained it away with: "They need relief from all that
formalness."

  As far as divisions within the UK, some broad generalisations were
offered. Scotland and Ireland were seen as more rural with sheep and
rolling hills whereas England was deemed more industrial.

  The Irish were seen to drink more and have a more devout faith, and
the Scots were seen as more down-to-earth.

  As for Wales, there was some mention made of it being left off the EU
map, but otherwise, some knew it was green, and there was the odd
mention made of Catherine Zeta Jones growing up there.

  Paul Crake, of the RSA, was surprised at how kind the other nations
were.

  "I would have expected more dirt being dished by foreign groups. But
we had to really push them to say anything at all negative," he said.

  "The one perception the Americans have about us, is of really bad
teeth, which I think is due to The Simpsons, and they also think that
the level of reserve really does touch on the British being a little
snooty, but that's as bad as it got.

  "We beat ourselves up over what we've offered to the rest of the
world, but it seems they are quite nice to us in return."

  Perhaps. But the Italians certainly didn't hold back on their views in
matters of style. They said the English have no clue.

  "Elegance is not typically English. Apart from the Lords, they're a
bit slovenly. They don't dress with care," said an Italian interviewee.

  Britons were not viewed as weak or devious, but rather as
individualistic and traditional.

  "Britons...have learned how to make their traditions comfortable to
live in ... the weight of manners here is very great, the weight of
social conformity at times here strikes me as very severe," one
American said.

  Britons are deemed tolerant and multicultural, but a Norfolk
discussion group based in King's Lynn differed in their attitudes to
minority groups.

  Chinese immigrants were seen as hard-working, but Portuguese, Russian
and eastern European groups were deemed "spongers", exploiting
Britain's welfare state.

  When groups were asked about the number of British achievers
throughout history, the obligatory references were made to Shakespeare,
Charles Dickens and the Industrial Revolution.

  When pushed to describe British achievements in the last 10 years
however, the task proved more difficult.

  It may have been the foreign correspondent from India who summed it up
best.

  "I can't think of anything very much other than the fact its got a
very vibrant press ... even though the Americans may run the world, it
is the British who write about it."

  Politeness, pride ... and bad teeth

  Chicago
British politeness and pride is a positive attribute. America's
impression of Britain is of a nation rooted in romantic visions of the
Victorian era but they believe Brits need relief from their formalness

  Britons are better dressed than Americans but they've got bad teeth
and are conceited.

  Mumbai
The British are "haughty" and known for their snobbishness. Those
questioned considered themselves humble, whereas the British are not.

  They are seen as too closely aligned to the US

  While the British are open and tolerant of homosexuality, they are the
fathers of racism.

  Milan
UK is "isolationist" and tied to out-dated traditions and customs.

  It is seen as too closely aligned to the US

  The British sense of humour is cold and people treat you with
detachment but are not impolite.

  They are proud and full of themselves and are exaggeratedly tied to
the past.

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program