[extropy-chat] Ownz0red

nsjacobus at yahoo.com nsjacobus at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 14:08:27 UTC 2004

Not sure I agree there on robots vs computers. A robot is certain kind
of computer with effectors, actuators, sensors etc. All computers have
some kind of external devices. You simply need to understand the
particular environment for which you're writing code. I've programmed
several types of research-level robotic systems and most conventional
computers. There's no difference when considering a robot and say a
computer with realtime capabilities.

I mentioned in a prior post, the science fiction short-story "Ownz0red"
by Cory Doctorow. Ever read it? It's about a hacker that acquires
a digital-biological interface more or less like what I've been talking
about.

It's a terrific story. Give it a read, when you get a chance and maybe
we can discuss it here:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/28/0wnz0red/

In case you haven't read any of Doctorow's work, he's a excellent
writer with some the most apt, brilliant science fiction of the last 20
years. All of his work is maintained under the Creative Commons license
and it available from:

http://www.craphound.com/

Cheers,
NJ

On Nov 17, 2004, at 3:46 AM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

--- nsjacobus at yahoo.com wrote:
> I was thinking more in terms of
> what you could do
> if you could directly manipulate your own internal
> biochemical
> environment with code. The compiler would be
> designed to filter out any
> pathological results (hopefully).
>
> Consider: complete control over one's biological
> existence via code.

Ah.  Then you're using the wrong analogy.  Your body
is a biological machine, but not a biological program.
Think "robot", not "computer".  Both can be
programmed, and both can be altered by programs, but
the exact mechanism by which that change takes place
is ever so slightly (yet significantly) different.
(And once we have a high level of control over
nanotech - possibly easier to do for biological
systems like your body than for, say, diamondoid
mechanosynthesis - the capabilities would not be that
different for each control method, either.)