[extropy-chat] Ownz0red

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 17 17:38:05 UTC 2004

--- nsjacobus at yahoo.com wrote:
> Not sure I agree there on robots vs computers. A
> robot is certain kind
> of computer with effectors, actuators, sensors etc.
> All computers have
> some kind of external devices. You simply need to
> understand the
> particular environment for which you're writing
> code. I've programmed
> several types of research-level robotic systems and
> most conventional
> computers. There's no difference when considering a
> robot and say a
> computer with realtime capabilities.

A "computer", in the common sense of the term, does
not have effectors, actuators, sensors, et cetera.  A
robot-controlling computer tends to be specialized to
controlling that robot - which tends to reduce its
vulnerability to viruses and unauthorized hacking,
both in terms of speciality and in terms of increased
costs from said hacking (thus, justified greater
measures against it).

> I mentioned in a prior post, the science fiction
> short-story "Ownz0red"
> by Cory Doctorow. Ever read it? It's about a hacker
> that acquires
> a digital-biological interface more or less like
> what I've been talking
> about.
>
> It's a terrific story. Give it a read, when you get
> a chance and maybe
> we can discuss it here:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/28/0wnz0red/

I've read it before, but I read it again just now.  It
combines both aspects of what I was talking about: at
first, Liam's body is the tool of the Feds who don't
care if he dies so long as they get their data (thus,
"virtual slavery"), but then he gains control over
himself.

But note this line from the story:

> Here's the protocol: tomorrow, we give you a bug.
> It's a controlled mutagen that prepares your
> brainstem so that it can emits and receives weak
> electromagnetic fields that can be manipulated with
> an external microcontroller.

So, it's still just a neural interface in the standard
sense.  It hacks around with how your brain (of which
the brainstem is part) controls your body, but it
still uses the brain to mediate that connection.

Note that nowhere do they even imply that these
"programs" could run on a normal computer, or that
programs that can run on a normal computer could run
on the human OS.  What Liam talks about is largely
like programming a robot, albeit a highly
sophisticated one.