[extropy-chat] Re: on Spike's big ass theory

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 18 20:10:40 UTC 2004

Most sprints by prey are a few hundred yards at most. On the open plain,
where all this evolved, there really is no cover, so tracking is easy.
Also, tracking by stone age humans is a very fine art, most colonial
empires hired native help to track fugitves that ran into the bush.

>I think the more common explanation is that running was used as a form
>of hunting.  Humans can run down most animals, even though the prey is
>faster in a sprint.  After a few hours the animal will be exhausted but
>the human can still be going strong.  The main problem is tracking the
>prey over that period.  It will run, get out of sight, and then stop.
>But if you're in a plain where tracks are visible, or if you're smart
>enough to figure out which way it went, it can be a successful hunting
>style.
>
>Hal

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =