[extropy-chat] Greg's Project

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 19 14:35:09 UTC 2004

I think his whole presentation in our  rural setting where some families
send their children to religeous private
schools so they get a "proper religeon based education" as well as
subscribing to satellite TV but
blanking out all but a few channels is going to get some interesting
comments.

Adding some novelty to the possible posthuman discoveries with
suggestions that posthumans might
discover for example  that the universe is some sort of
Holodeck remotely programmable by quantum entanglement mechanisms  and that
indeed the holodeck characters may learn what lies "beyond"  by use of
the same tool is an interesting thought.

For his presentation I have suggested that he look for  key changes in
the speed,  complexity and efficiency
of communication (of information)  as the turning points from basic
human development to transhuman development.
That would be the advent of miniturizable transisitors on a chip for
computing,  the discovery of the
fundamental nature of DNA, and controlled  nuclear disintegration to
begin the transhuman era in 1950.
For the posthuman turning point it might be the convergence of all
current technologies into a single technology (the singularity)
because of  near instant communications between all the various
components, and the first AI able to co-exist with
the humans of the day, as well as one novel energy source not currently
in use today.

I also asked that he somehow make mention of possible catastrophic
events which might
prevent the advent of posthumans and reduce humans back to a society
without technology
.... an unforseen technological Faux-pas or a deliberate terrorist act by
a radical-green anti-techno-civilzation fundamentalist-religeous  group
like "green anarchy".

MFJ