Structure of AI (was: Re: [extropy-chat] COMP: Distributed Computing)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Nov 20 20:21:15 UTC 2004

On Nov 20, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Based on what I understand, intelligence appears to be based
> on information processing and communication, not computation.

As a technical nit, I challenge you to define "information processing",
"communication", and "computation" such that they are truly distinct
entities in some kind of rigorous fashion.

> Human intelligence, on the other hand, seems to be best at
> fitting together the pieces of the puzzle.  Not at complex
> calculations.  Power through correlation.  A very dynamic
> setup.

This is generally true.  The brain is essentially a giant
context-sensitive pattern index that does everything using a few
primitive operations on that index.  If you think of it this way, the
limitations start to become obvious.

> Mmm, maybe I should check around, to see if AI research is
> still thinking in terms of programming, or more in terms of
> processing data ...

Most AI research is still thinking in terms of computation, or at the
very least they view computational power as the limit on intelligence.
If you look at the models used by most researchers, you can see why
they might come to that conclusion.  Newer foundational mathematical
models based in algorithmic information theory would strongly suggest
that this view is quite incorrect.

I actually may have been the first hardcore theorist in the field of AI
to assert that there is almost no "computation" in "intelligence",
something which is considered less controversial and outlandish today
than when I started publicly making such assertions five years ago.
Still, old ideas die hard.  As one of the first people to take a
serious stab at defining intelligent systems and AI in terms of
algorithmic information theory, it became obvious to me that the
pervasive view that intelligence is bound by computational power was
not supportable in the mathematics.  As a foundational mathematical
model of intelligence, this general area has done very well; there are
far more reasons to think it is correct today than when it was first
proposed, and it has generated the first really new directions in ages.

It is worth pointing out that if you take these models into
consideration, which really are the only mathematical framework for
generally intelligent systems we currently have,  the popular models of
what constitutes a "human-equivalent computer" (e.g. Moravec) are
completely and deeply broken.  The closest direct metric of
intelligence capability for silicon would be cache line fill rate and
total RAM; TFLOPS are almost totally irrelevant as a practical matter.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers