[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:01:33 UTC 2004

Well Mike, strange as you may find it, we are in perfect agreement here.
In passing: I may have reached the top 8 messages per day, I promise to
shut up for the rest of the day.
I know that "atheistic talibans" can be, and have been, just as
intolerant and dangerous as "*any religion here* talibans". Under past
communist rule in Eastern European countries, people could go to jail
for admitting religious beliefs. I am against this as I am against any
form of intolerance against others' ideas. Please note also that I am
one of those who frequently react to atheist intolerance of others'
religious beliefs.
I also stand behind anybody who peacefully practices their faith
(including atheism).
My main  point, which perhaps I have not expressed clearly enough, is
this: politics created strange bedfellows, and I have the impression
that you are now seeing christian *fundamentalists* as allies of
libertarians in US politics (a couple of weeks ago a guy posted a very
interesting explanation of how christian *fundamentalists* and
libertarians manage to peacefully coexist in the Republican party). And
I wish to warn you that, in my opinion, some of them, including some
very close to the political powers that be, do not limit themselves to
peacefully practicing their faith, but actively try to force their faith
upon everyone else. The fact that they are in power makes them
dangerous. Especially dangerous for Extropians when they try to shut
down all medical research which could lead to human enhancement.
G.