[extropy-chat] Research policy, EU versus US

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Nov 25 18:16:30 UTC 2004

On Nov 25, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> The fact that they are in power makes them dangerous. Especially
> dangerous for Extropians when they try to shut down all medical
> research which could lead to human enhancement.

There are many more ways to effectively shut down research than mere
direct government regulation.  Many governments make seemingly
unrelated policy that have the same or worse consequences for research
whether intended or not.

Both the US and Japan spend vastly more money on R&D than the entire
EU, in any relative term you care to use (per capita, percentage of
GDP, etc), and the gap in absolute terms enormous as well.  The EU
gives a great deal of lip service to the importance of all this
research, but has shown no real interest in actually making it happen.
Social policy and statements of support does not constitute "research".

The US regulation of research is only dangerous to the EU because the
EU doesn't do their own.  And as the EU reports themselves state, the
primary reason for this is that research driven enterprise has been
regulated into non-competitiveness in the EU and no one dares make any
radical changes to economic policy to make it competitive.  Rather than
worrying about the US regulating research, perhaps you should worry
about the fact that the EU has *already* effectively regulated research
into oblivion.  No matter what happens in the US, it certainly cannot
hurt to have the EU in the research game.  Why is the US obligated to
carry the EU's water?

This is the same bizarre myopia that I see a lot when the EU makes
commentary on all manner of policy in the US and how terrible it is.
They complain about how fiscal irresponsibility in the US is tragic,
while refusing to make any real reforms to their own economies which
are in far worse shape.  They complain about perceived loss of freedoms
in the US, apparently ignoring the fact that the US still has far
greater basic freedom e.g. freedom of speech, than the EU has ever had,
yet there is no push to liberalize their own laws.  They complain about
research regulation in the US, but only give lip service to doing their
own research.  They talk about the "atrocity" that is US foreign
policy, while actively supporting tyrants for personal gain and turning
a blind eye toward egregious human rights violations in their own back
yards.  And so on. Can you see how this might look monstrously
hypocritical to many Americans?  It is as though the EU is living
vicariously through the US and has no life of its own, or at the very
least acting as an annoying backseat driver.

Everyone is concerned that the US does not listen to the opining of the
EU, but there are two questions that should be asked far more than they
actually are:  Does the EU actually heed the policy advice of the US,
even on matters where the US has a far better track record?  And is it
wise for the US to take policy advice from organizations with a policy
track record that is very arguably worse than the US?  I think
Americans would be far more likely to be genuinely open to listening to
the EU if the EU appeared to be serious about fixing their own problems
instead of just giving them political lip service and then playing
armchair president of the US.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers