[extropy-chat] Movie: WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW!?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 25 22:19:08 UTC 2004

--- Reason <reason at longevitymeme.org> wrote:
> You're not going to find any truth in this film; the
> "scientists" are just
> babbling and the mystics are promoting their
> particular delusional
> worldview. The result is the sort of dangerous
> nonsense that can exist in a
> society that is largely illiterate with it comes to
> science.

Agreed.  I went to see the film having been told it
was an illustration of the limits of what we know
from quantum mechanics, and of the scientific
exploration of said field for more knowledge.

There is nothing scientific about the questions and
methods they discuss.  One particularly egregious
example is speculating that anyone can change the
world just by willing it, and if they don't then
they're just not trying hard enough/hindered by their
subconscious (despite the fact that all attempts to
change things - at least, outside one's own body - by
willpower alone, with no corresponding physical
actions, have failed under laboratory conditions, even
when conducted by the most sincere of believers).
This is the second movie in my life I've walked out in
the middle of.  I was strongly tempted to yell out in
the theater about the pseudoscientific bullshit while
I exited, but decided that would not likely convince
any of the other patrons either way, and only make our
side look like the irrational (and unpleasant, for
those deluded into thinking it more important) one.