[extropy-chat] Researchers and students in America

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 17:16:53 UTC 2004

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> Mike Lorrey:
> >If there is such a visa clamp down, why is it that the pre-existing
> >H1-B quota was exhausted on the first day of the fiscal year?
>
> Backlog from waiting for one or two years?
>
> I don't know if you are questioning the basic premise of the article,
> but for me it is old news, the visa restrictions have been written
> about in the last years in all of the periodicals to which I
> subscribe.

I find the claims of corporations to be specious when there are many
thousands of highly trained Americans out of work because their jobs
have been offshored, downsized, reengineered, etc.

I have my own experience with the H1-B program and know that many
companies abuse the system. Many get bought by foreign interests that
want to ship their own people into the country, while in other
instances, professionals deliberately write job descriptions so
narrowly that they exclude any local people who are completely capable
of doing the work, so they can justify giving a person they are friends
with the job and get them into the US on an H1-B, or get a job for the
unmarried significant other of a person they are already bringing into
the country. This especially occurs quite frequently in academia. I
have seen it occuring frequently at Dartmouth, for instance.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)