[extropy-chat] Declaration of Independence

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Fri Nov 26 23:56:41 UTC 2004

Kevin,

That's actually not true. Blacks (and women) were not "not allowed equal
rights as whites". Article I, Section 2, dealing with the number of
Representatives each State is entitled to, merely set the value of a
_slave_ as 3/5 of a non-slave (non-taxpaying Indians not being included
at all). Free blacks were counted fully equally to free whites.

The 3/5ths rule, often quoted, had nothing to do with rights per se. It
had only to do with calculating population when apportioning
Representatives in Congress. As with all such things, it was the result
of a long process of political compromise. But the key was the status of
the individual as slave or free, which did not necessarily map to racial
origin. There were plenty of free blacks in the United States at the
time (even in many of the slaveholding states).

That being said, to answer your question, no; I've never heard of any
such thing. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it is a moot point (there
being no "intelligent beings" in the United States who aren't human.
Yet.). Generally, such changes don't come to the fore beforehand; they
are done in reaction to a problem that has arisen. When the first truely
self-aware AI, or Uplifted chimpanzee, emerges, one might very well see
such a movement emerge, although one might well see a movement to
specifically declare "personhood" as being restricted _solely_ to
humans; I predict both movements emerging in response to the same
triggering event.

Joseph