[extropy-chat] Declaration of Independence

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Nov 28 05:05:10 UTC 2004

Joseph Bloch wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> That's actually not true. Blacks (and women) were not "not allowed
> equal rights as whites". Article I, Section 2, dealing with the number
> of Representatives each State is entitled to, merely set the value of
> a _slave_ as 3/5 of a non-slave (non-taxpaying Indians not being
> included at all). Free blacks were counted fully equally to free whites.
>
> The 3/5ths rule, often quoted, had nothing to do with rights per se.
> It had only to do with calculating population when apportioning
> Representatives in Congress. As with all such things, it was the
> result of a long process of political compromise. But the key was the
> status of the individual as slave or free, which did not necessarily
> map to racial origin. There were plenty of free blacks in the United
> States at the time (even in many of the slaveholding states).
>
> That being said, to answer your question, no; I've never heard of any
> such thing. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it is a moot point
> (there being no "intelligent beings" in the United States who aren't
> human. Yet.). Generally, such changes don't come to the fore
> beforehand; they are done in reaction to a problem that has arisen.
> When the first truely self-aware AI, or Uplifted chimpanzee, emerges,
> one might very well see such a movement emerge, although one might
> well see a movement to specifically declare "personhood" as being
> restricted _solely_ to humans; I predict both movements emerging in
> response to the same triggering event.
>
> Joseph

Thanks, Joseph, for a concise and competent historical analysis.

Your analysis has a potential drawback:
Past changes operated at a particular pace. The political and
constitional processes are aligned to that pace. Unfortunately, the
emergence of non-human intelligence is likely to occur at a much faster
pace, and the traditional mechanism are unlikely to adapt quickly
enough. This is an obvious example of Clarke's Law: an
order-of-magnitude quantitative change is a qualitative change.

Chimpanzee or Dolphin enhancement are constrained by the generation
time, and may thereby remain within the historical pace (though  I doubt
it.) AIs are not constrained, and therefore fall outside of your
analysis. By the time the political/contsitutional/societal consensus
can react to the emergence of an AI, the AI may very well have decide to
take over some aspect (or all aspects) of the political/economic system.
If the AI is ethical given a human concept of ethics, it might be a good
idea to specify in advance how we humans think an ethical AI  should
interact with humanity.