[extropy-chat] Reductionism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Nov 27 00:49:04 UTC 2004

At 05:22 PM 11/26/2004 -0500, Eliezer wrote:

>>>Name me a single concept I must use, for which I cannot give an
>>>experimentally testable consequence of its presence or absence.
>>Friendliness.
>>(And watch out for those Type I and Type II errors.)
>
>Presence: you live
>Absence: you die
>
>I didn't say it would be a perfect test that caught every case and only
>those cases.  I just said there would be an experimentally testable
>consequence.

Well, you can *impute* or *infer* unfriendliness on the part of someone who
might have preserved your life but failed to do so, although the motivation
might have been quite otherwise. I'd have preferred a less extreme
instance; say, if the suspected unfriendly fails to share her slice of cake
with you, or hold the door open for you. But even in this extreme case of
death, there are so many situations where people die in the absence of
malign or indifferent intention that it fails utterly as an *experimental
test*.

Damien Broderick