[extropy-chat] evolution again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 22:27:32 UTC 2004

I had an idea which follows up on our discussion
from last week.  Assume Jared Diamond's notion that
human variation can be very generally grouped in
three subsets, African, European and Asian.  Jared
suggests that the Asian group has features that
are well-adapted for cold weather, such as the
shorter stature, eye shape possibly less susceptible
to freezing, better suited for carrying fat, etc.
The Africans then would be shaped for better
survival under milder climates, but with greater
competition with other carnivores, etc.

The Europeans then would be somewhere in between
the other two groups in those anatomical features
which have been shaped by climatological conditions.

Now perhaps I am pushing this entire notion too
far, but try this on.  Suppose that the Asians were
the first humans to clothe themselves, for sheer
necessity in their harsh climate, and the Africans
the last to do so in their milder environs.

Now, what if humans preferentially chose partners
with larger penises?  This would explain why humans
have larger penises than chimps, would it not?  Now
here's where I'm speculating to some extent: if size
really does matter to human females, and Asians
clothed first (thus partially defeating the outward
selection criterion) and Africans clothed last, would
not this explain the unescapable observation well
known by anyone who has been in the men's locker room?