[extropy-chat] grow closer to god--through the mail!!

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 30 10:58:05 UTC 2004

 (11/29/04 20:50) Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

>From: "Brent Neal" <brentn at freeshell.org>
>
>> I will point out, for sake of fairness, that religions without
>organizations, such as many Neopagan faiths, do not receive recognition from
>the government.  Most Pagan groups don't even have 501(c)(3) status. I'd be
>willing to bet that Hindu temples in the US are in the same boat, though I
>have no data to speak about that authoritatively.
>
>I am actually opposed to all forms of "oh-how-special" tax exemptions for
>religious groups (in my post I was trying to be mock-serious).
>
>At the very least, I would like religions to be taxed like any other
>entertainment business.

I'm opposed to tax exemptions for darn near everything, mainly because I'm pretty much opposed to taxes.

Mock seriousness aside, the point I was making backhandedly is that even if you did tax religious organizations as you suggest, neopagan groups wouldn't pay them, because they, as a rule, don't exist in the eyes of the government. Which is the way -all- religious organizations ought to operate, IMO.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein