[extropy-chat] A slow down in Moore's law?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 19:35:50 UTC 2004

Desktop PC's are not generally governed by processor speeds, that is
merely one contributor.

The biggest contributor to speed is the amount of RAM installed,
seconded by the speed of the hard drive. When virtual ram is forced to
be created on hard drives, and especially when hard drives are
partitioned, slow performance results.

Most value desktops are sold with anemic levels of RAM, and the slowest
hard drive speed. You have to special order sufficient RAM and faster
hard drives. RAM chip speed and bus speeds are also contributory.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that, at least with Windows
operating systems, there is a degree of self-governing going on, where
the OS tends to reduce its own memory footprint based on the
capabilities of the system. When I install more RAM, it seems as though
the OS creates a larger footprint in response.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)