[extropy-chat] A slow down in Moore's law?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 02:19:22 UTC 2004

> To: Kevin Freels; ExI chat list
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] A slow down in Moore's law?
>
> >So would you say that processing speeds are still doubling
> >every 18 months even though clock speeds are not?...

If you look at GIMPS, processor performance is
cooking right along at a factor of 2 every 1.5
yrs or so.  We made a big hootnanny when it
broke the trillion flops threshold about summer of
2000.  Now its about to break thru 20 teraflops.

Ahhhhh life is gooooood...  {8-D

spike

http://www.mersenne.org/primenet/status.shtml

http://mersenne.org/ips/stats.html

(You too can join and do something with your idle
CPU cycles.  Even if it is something silly.)

(You might win 1e5 bucks.  There is about a 61%
chance that someone will win the $100k in the
next 3 yrs.)    {8-]  s  (do it.)